Mountain Health originated in rural East County San Diego’s Mountain Empire region, driven by residents’ desire to realize some health care capacity in this region that had almost no health care resources at the time. Mountain Health opened its first clinic in Campo (91906) in 1974, followed by a clinic in Jacumba (91934). In 2005 Mountain Health opened its Alpine Family Medicine location. Mountain Health has become the primary general-service health care provider in the Mountain Empire region, and thousands of rural residents look to Mountain Health to meet their health care needs.
Mountain Health also agreed to assume the operation of the Mountain Health Community Center in Campo, which has allowed the Center to maintain uninterrupted operations since 1997. The Center provides a variety of services including a senior nutrition program, a variety of classes, a food pantry, a volunteer driving program to aid rural seniors’ mobility, and programming for children and youth. The Center has served a critical role in the region during the major fire emergencies in the last decade, and Mountain Health stands ready to stand with first responders and emergency response agencies as needed in future crises.
The manner in which health care services are provided has changed tremendously since Mountain Health opened its doors, and Mountain Health has evolved to meet new challenges and build on opportunities for improving the provision of care.
- Mountain Health has used telehealth technology to provide behavioral health services to rural residents who cannot come to a clinic site.
- In 2013 Mountain Health completed the installation of an Electronic Health Records system, which means that patients’ information is now computerized, completely comprehensive, highly organized, and available at every Mountain Health clinic site.
- Mountain Health is adopting new models of care, including the Patient Centered Medical Home (PCMH) model. The PCMH model provides for a team-based care approach in which the clinical team members partner with the patient to promote healthy lifestyle choices, prevent disease, and manage chronic conditions.
- In 2014, Mountain Health has broken ground for the new Mountain Empire Family Medicine center, a 24,000 square-foot facility that will include dental, optometry, and pharmacy services.
Mountain Health has come a long way from its origins as a part-time, all-volunteer clinic serving a couple hundred Mountain Empire residents annually. Today Mountain Health expects to serve over 8,000 unduplicated patients in 2016, most of whom will be living at or below the federal poverty level. Mountain Health works with dozens of public and private organizations around the county to meet the needs of high-need residents, and recognizes the importance of collaboration in creating high-quality service networks. Mountain Health’s role as a founding (and current) member of the Mountain Empire Collaborative speaks to the importance that Mountain Health attaches to collaborative effort, and particularly so in a rural context.
What Makes Us Unique?
- Convenient Locations Throughout San Diego County
- Non-Profit Federally Qualified Health Center
- Provide High Quality Comprehensive Primary Health Care
- Treat All Patients, Regardless of Their Ability to Pay